Home News Fixtures Team News City Open Forum Stat Attack Club Info Visitor's Information Terrace Trash Supporters Club Archive Links email.

We welcome all contributions to the T-Ender. Send by e-mail to the address above. 

The views expressed on these pages are not those of Gloucester City A.F.C., it's directors, or of any other company mentioned. Neither do they represent the official views of the Gloucester City Supporters Club or its committee.
While we make every effort to ensure information placed here is accurate we do not accept responsibility for errors that may occour. If you do find a mistake please let us know.

All pictures unless otherwise stated are the site's own.

Saturday 21 November 1998: Meadow Park

CITY v. Kingstonian

F.A. Trophy 2nd Round


City's Team
Kemp (c)

Mings (for Callinan, 70)

City will feel unlucky to have crashed out of the Trophy despite being faced by one of the form sides in the Conference. Gloucester welcomed back striker Andy Mainwaring from his knee cartilage operation and with him back in the side looked a much better team than that which had lost so disappointingly against Tamworth and Crawley.

Gloucester started well with Hemmings particularly lively and obviously relishing the chance to prove his mettle against higher class opponents. In the early minutes Hemmo twice sent over difficult crosses that had the visitors defence at full stretch. City forced a series of corners but despite sending up both Kemp and Fergusson city couldn't quite get the vital touch. Kingstonian were penned back in their own half and Pitcher wasted there best early opportunity by firing his free kick into the T-End.

despite their lack of chances it was Kingstonian who took the lead by showing a glimpse of class and perhaps demonstrating the difference between the Conference and the Southern League. Mainwaring lost the ball deep in the K's half, and Wilgrass sent a long ball over the City back line. Akuamoah raced past the floundering Kemp and powered an outstanding clinical drive past Mokler. Taking the lead opened a spell of sustained Kingstonian pressure but the city defence held out well, with Holloway exacting some revenge for the goal with a bruising challenge on the goalscorer that earnt him a booking.

City weathered that storm and were able to pull themselves back into the tie before half time. Fergusson alarmed the K's keeper with a curling long range drive and then Mainwaring stretched his legs to run onto a Holloway pass but cracked his shot just beyond the far post. However all the home pressure deserved reward which they received when a deep Wyatt was met by a thumping far post header by the hard working Andy Tucker.

With Kingstonian obviously alarmed by the forward play of City in the first half they reverted to the tried and tested Conference tactic of constant tumbling and exaggerated dives that brought to mind last season's encounter with Stevenage. Their defenders constantly fell to the floor under the attentions of Callinan, Burns and Hemmings, often so ludicrously late their falls were largely ignored by the referee but the occasional successful deception still interrupted play and frustrated the Tigers.

Subsequent decisions were to only harden the T-End's feelings of injustice. A galloping run by Burns down the left ended with a curling cross met by the head of Andy Mainwaring who should have been able to celebrate his return to fitness with a goal, only to have it disallowed quite wrongly for offside. Still muttering curses City were further angered when a penalty was given for Gary Thorne's trip on Pitcher. Luckett put the penalty in the net with Moks only able to push it on into the goal. City had further chances to get the replay they certainly deserved, with Hemmings denied a clear penalty down by the touchline. However despite good efforts by substitute Mings, Kemp and Burns City were left ruing some poor refereeing decisions as they went out of the competition.

City Scorer
Tucker (41)
Holloway, G.Thorne, Burns

Match Reports
City Index