stat attack
open forum
terrace trash
supporter's trust
club info
visitor's info

We welcome all contributions to the T-Ender. Please send any material for the site by
email to the address above. 

The views expressed on these pages are not those of Gloucester City A.F.C., its directors or officials, or of any other company mentioned. Neither do they represent the official views of the Gloucester City Supporters' Club or its committee.
While we make every effort to ensure information placed here is accurate we do not accept responsibility for errors that may occour. If you do find a mistake please let us know.

All pictures and material unless otherwise stated are the site's own and is
All material may be reproduced with permission and appropriately attributed.

Saturday 19 August 2006
British Gas Business Southern League Premier
(match 1)
at Meadow Park
BGB Southern League logo

New Tigers Badge: no-one knows why...

Gloucester City


Maidenhead United

Maidenhead magpies

HT (0-0)

A.Wilson (81), J.Reid (84)
D.Clarke (54)
C.Thompson ©
D.Sterling ©
(for 2, 73) J.Reid
R.Newman (for 6, 40)
(for 11, 79) J.Bevan
Y.Romeo (for 7, 85)
(for 10, 66) J.Tustain
City: C.Thompson (kicked ball away 77) - Maidenhead: A.Allen (faking injury 80)
Dismissals: none

T-Ender City MotM: Matt Bath - incredible double saves in each half made sure we were in a position to still snatch the late win.

grass trim rule

City dramatically snatched an unlikely victory with two late goals that left Maidenhead reeling after the visitors had dominated the first half and taken the lead early in the second. That could easily have seen City throw in the towel after our discouraging pre-season but Tim Harris gambled with a string of attacking substitutions and it paid off as his players responded with a gutsy come back sealed by a Jamie Reid wonder goal.

Maidenhead dominated the first half throughout, putting together some slick passing that didn't make them look too out of place in their pseudo-Arsenal kit. For all their impressive moves though they actually didn't manage to find the crucial scoring touch and found City's defence just about coping at full stretch, Lyndon Tomkins having an especially solid game with some fine blocks. Even when the vistors got through they found Matt Bath in great shape, making an early good save from close range as a good move ended with a shot from Brian Haule. Towards the end of the half Bath again did well as a long distance strike from Dwaine Clarke needed to be tipped over the City bar. Our best effort of the first half saw Jason Welsh put a header just wide after some good movement from Fowler and Sykes created the chance, Welsh should have had at least one more chance on goal but was denied by a dodgy flag from the linesman.

City reshuffled in the second half and with Aaron Wilson in a more attacking role it was City who were now exerting pressure, and Jason Welsh couldn't have gone much closer as he reached a Sykes corner to crash a solid header on to the cross bar - the ball flying down on to the goal line but some how staying out of the net. City's attacks were almost our undoing though as Corbett was dispossessed and Adie Allen found the City midfield providing sparse defensive cover. He was able to run into a central position before letting fly from nearly 30 yards. His shot skimmed and bobbled across the turf, and was accurate and quick enough to slip into the net to leave City chasing the match. As City scratched their heads the game almost disappeared out of reach as Adie Allen slipped through only to see his first shot blocked by Matt Bath rushing out of his goal, and even more impressively the follow-up effort also pushed wide with a fantastic reaction stop.

Tim Harris didn't hang about and as City chased the game the boss sent on first Joey Tustain, then Jamie Reid and then Jody Bevan in a series of attacking substitutions. The midfield slowly got a tighter grip and with Maidenhead struggling to clear their lines finally came the crucial equaliser. Good persistence by Bevan down the left saw us get into the box and when the ball was pushed square it cut out several defenders and neatly into the path of Wilson. The boy with the red boots showed great composure to drill the ball low into the net from the edge of the area, and City were level.

Suddenly the game was alive and it looked more likely that City would take advantage. However, when the goal came it was really a strike that was worthy of winning the match and made you feel slightly less guilty about our, perhaps sligthtly undeserved, victory. A Wilson corner was headed away by United but looped towards Reid guarding the midfield area. The former youth team skipper brought the ball down on his chest and let fly with a volley which he caught as sweetly as anything you'd see in the top flight. It was one of those strikes that you knew was in long before you saw the net ripple, even from 35 yards out the keeper stood no chance. Cue sheer delirium all around the ground as Reid and the rest of the side went mental, interestingly both he and Wilson charged for the dug-out on scoring - saying much for the squad spirit and the part the coaching staff are playing. Even Matt Bath ran as far as he normally manages in the season to get in on the celebrations, whilst Dave Wilkinson's flip-flops were flying in all directions in the jubilant melee.


grass trim rule
T-Ender Match Snaps
Corbett breaks forward in front of the T-End
Corbett makes an early run down the flanks for City
Miadenhead scramble clear
Bevan off the bench
Maidenhead bundle the ball away in their goalmouth
Bevan comes off the bench to cause problems for the visitors
City push for a winner from a corner
Wilson's corner is cleared but Maidenhead can do nothing about the Reid thunderbolt that followed.

Team Selection:
Tim Harris was left with few selection options as the squad was depleted by injury. Chris Thompson was pressed into action despite being told to wait a couple of weeks longer before playing with his broken nose. City gave debuts to four with Tom Hamblin, Aaron Wilson, Jason Welsh and Mike Fowler all getting their first game, and Joey Tustain making a first appearance later from the bench Maidenhead had an even newer side after relegation from Conference South last season, and boasted seven debutants.
TBBM Said:
"They can close the goal of the season award already".
Tactics Board:
Aaron Wilson found the going tough at left wing-back in the first half, but Tim Harris isn't afraid to change things and at half-time the youngster was shifted to an attacking midfield role behind the front two. Wilson looked a lot more comfortable and City took the game to United in the second half, with Aaron himself getting the equaliser.
Anorak Corner:
The last City debutant to score before Aaron Wilson today was Luke Corbett in October 2005 who smashed in two on his City debut at Mangotsfield, the club he'd just left. Wilson waited 81 minutes for his goal, Corbett scored in the 2nd minute of his opening match and with his first two touches of the ball in our colours.
T-Ender Verdict
If City are honest with themselves we got out of gaol a little today and a win was almost certainly more than we deserved, certainly after the first half. None the less this come back showed some great belief in the side, and hopefully will give us more confidence after the pre-season struggles. Maidenhead looked a decent side and can expect to be on the edge of the play-offs come the end of the season, so this was a good three points.
Highlights Elsewhere:

The opening day of the BGB Southern Premier saw one big shock as title favourites King's Lynn saw their hopes take an early blow with a 2-0 home defeat to Halesowen. Our own tips for the top stayed on track though: Bath City winning 2-0 at Corby, the second goal made at Meadow Park - Chris Holland heading in from Mark McKeever's cross. Another former Tiger on the mark was Lee Smith, but his penalty at Hemel Hempstead came in a 4-1 defeat for Cirencester which will not be the start their new boss was hoping for.

In the Midlands Division newcomers Bishop's Cleeve fell 1-0 to fellow Southern League debutants Chasetown, while Chris Burns equalised for Cinderford to get his first point as boss of the Forest side in a 2-2 draw at Aylesbury, Richard Kear also finding the net. City are also a step closer to knowing their FA Cup opponents after today's preliminary round results. City will be at home to either Welton Rovers or Liskeard Athletic, beating Wimborne 2-0 and Sherborne 4-1 respectively.

Other Match Reports:

Maidenhead United website match report
Gloucester Citizen match report

Further Reading:

BGB Southern League Premier Results & Website
BGB Southern League Table


P.Grove (Stourbridge)

City League Pos: 7th (-) City Form: W-LWWLW

Ref Watch:

5 - Got the big decisions right but a lot else wrong, especially simple things like corners and throw ins.

Attendance: 406    
Conditions: overcast but dry
Lorry Score:


Match Report:
by t-towel

Work commitments mean that we are keen to obtain other match reporters willing to provide details on some City matches. All text can be supplied by email, with no need to worry about web design or formatting. If you are interested please contact the T-Ender.

Quick Links